Welcome, comrades!

The "Soviet joke," or anekdot , was a common staple of life east of the Iron Curtain. It was common among all walks of life, from ...

Sunday, November 14, 2021

Georgian students talk about their fathers

In a school in the Georgian S.S.R., the teacher asks the students to tell the class about their fathers."Turashvili, tell me about your father."

"My father grows oranges. He takes them to Moscow, sells them there, and makes good money."

"Now you, Beridze."

"My father grows laurel leaves. He takes them to Moscow, sells them there, and makes good money."

"Now you, Klividze."

"My father works in the Division for the Fight Against Embezzlement and Speculation. When Beridze's and Turashvili's fathers go to Moscow, they always first see my father. So he makes good money."

"Now you, Chavchavadze."

"My father is a chemical engineer."

The class bursts out in laughter.

"Children," the teacher says. "It's not good to laugh at somebody's poverty." 

No comments:

Post a Comment